Sunday, March 5, 2017

Why Shakeology?

"When it's this good, you have to get every drop!"
If you do Beachbody programs, you have heard of Shakeology. All of the trainers use it, and they mention it at the end of most of the workouts. Some of the videos even end on a Shakeology commercial. The coaches swear by it. It took me two years to buy-in and I wish I had found a way to get it into my life sooner.

I used every excuse in the book. I already had a protein powder that I liked . . . it's so expensive . . . how can a powdered drink mix be worth that much money?

The number one thing that most coaches will tell you to try and convince you to buy it is that it's no more expensive than a drink at Starbucks. Just $4 per day.

My response? I don't go to Starbucks everyday. There really wasn't a cost that I thought I could eliminate to make room for the shakes.

Another reason to get it . . . It reduces cravings. I didn't think I had many cravings.

And of course, "It's the healthiest meal of the day!" Well, I didn't really have a comeback for that one but I felt I already ate healthy foods so it couldn't be that big of a deal.

What convinced me? My energy levels and a struggle with seasonal depression. My symptoms were an overall lack of physical and mental energy. I would feel like I was going to fall asleep in my desk chair by 2:00 PM. I'm a teacher. I can't be that tired. Everything that happened, good or bad was amplified. I fought with my husband, I lost patience with my children, and I wasn't the best teacher I could be in the afternoons.

My students took notice. They started asking me what was wrong in the afternoon. Finally, I was honest with them. I told them that I struggle with my energy levels in the afternoon but that I was working on a solution and hoping that it would start getting better. (I teach 6th grade.)

At that point, I had to do what I said I was going to do and come up with a solution. I had listened to the hype and every single person that used shakeology tell me how great it is. I started asking questions. My coach put me into a coaches training group to help me make a decision about being a Beachbody coach and I saw a video that convinced me that this is what I needed to do.

See, what I had been doing was loading my body with supplements that were supposed to help with my energy levels. The problem is that after years of abuse and not eating clean, my body was no longer able to absorb the good stuff I was putting into it.

I discussed this all with my husband. We decided that I would try it out for 2 or 3 months and see if it helped. If it did, we would figure something out and make it work financially.

Here's what happened . . .

I got my first bag in the mail and started it right away. For the first week, I could tell that it was cleaning out my system. It wasn't a horrible feeling, just a discomfort in my stomach and a little gas. (sorry, but it's true) My coach and others who use Shakeology told me that I would feel a burst of energy on the 5th or 6th day. I was skeptical. How could that happen for everyone that uses it? Aren't our bodies all different? Well, it happened. By the 5th day, there was no way I was giving this stuff up. I started talking to my husband about it and letting him know how good I was feeling. By the third week, I had him convinced that it was definitely the right thing to do.

One of the biggest concerns for him was financial. Two teachers don't make a huge amount of money. We realized something in the three weeks that I had been drinking the shakes for breakfast. I had more energy at night. There weren't any days that I drove home thinking that I would not have the physical or mental capacity to cook dinner. I can clean up the living room at night, do a load of laundry, help clear the table after dinner. These are all things that I would struggle with before Shakeology. This also meant that we didn't order food or go out as often.

We had been ordering a pizza ($25) every week. There's my shakeology cost. I'd much rather make a pizza and know that the ingredients I'm using are clean and healthy . . . that my family is putting great food in their bodies than eat takeout pizza every week. As soon as I mentioned this to my husband, he actually visibly relaxed a little bit. I could see that he was starting to think about these benefits and what it meant for the family.

If I could, I would buy four bags every month and feed this to each family member once a day. Someday, I hope that I'll be able to get to that point. For right now, I'm going to keep drinking my Shakeology and taking care of my family the best way I know how. By taking care of me so that I can cook great meals and encourage them to stay active. I was one of the biggest skeptics. It took me 2 years to buy-in and now I'm so glad that I finally did.

If you want in on this awesomeness or just want more information, send me an email or comment on this post.

Gina Kupfer
Beachbody Coach
gkup25fit@gmail.com






No comments:

Post a Comment